Friday 14 April 2017

Mid April Roundup

The glorious sunny weather continues and the migrants continue to trickle in. I have now seen three individual wheatears including  one that was close to some new houses in Saint Angeau.  A male whitethroat was on the plains a couple of days back and a female merlin which I watched there was presumably on its way northwards. Nightingales and cuckoos are quite plentiful now but I have seen only one hoopoe and heard another in our village. The tiny but noisy serins are singing everywhere including in my garden.
The most recent arrival for me was a melodious warbler which was chattering away from the same piece of scrub in which a nightingale, a chiffchaff and a blackcap were also singing.

The walls of my house have already acquired their usual nesting population of kestrels, starlings, house sparrows, robins and black redstarts but to date the tits seem to have shown just a passing interest in the nest boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment